Immigrant Community Committee Meeting : April 4, 2019


>>AND WE WILL [ INTRODUCTIONS ]>>JAMES MITCHELL AT-LARGE. AND AND WORK WITH YOU GUYS TO SCHEDULE THOSE FOR LATER IN APRIL BUT TODAY, WE’RE GOING TO HAVE IS GOING TO DO A RECAP OF WHAT AIR LOT OF WHAT WE HEARD IN THE COMMUNITY SESSIONS AND WE’RE GOING TO PIVOT FROM THAT INTO HOW DO WE TAKE THAT AND TURN IT INTO POLICY ACTION. HOW DO WE ADVANCE IT TO THE COUNCIL FOR SOMETHING THAT THE COUNCIL CAN ADOPT THAT WERE ISSUES BROUGHT UP DURING THE COMMUNITY SESSIONS. MY GOAL TODAY IS WE HAVE ONE THING IN FRONT OF YOU THAT I HOPE TO SEND FORWARD FOR MONDAY NIGHT’S MEETING IS A LANGUAGE PLAN AND THAT IS TO ESSENTIALLY STATE IT AS OUR OBJECTIVE AND GO THROUGH OTHER POLICY ACTION AND MY HOPE IS THAT WE’LL ADVANCE THAT LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN FROM THE COMMITTEE TODAY TO THE FULL COUNCIL, THAT WE WILL ADOPT IT ON MONDAY AND THEN OTHER THINGS THAT WE WILL TALK ABOUT TODAY ARE THE THINGS AS I SAID WILL TAKE A LITTLE BIT MORE AND AND AND EMILY, WE’VE COME UP WITH SOME IDEA OF WHAT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO PROPOSE TO COUNCIL AND SOME OF WHAT WE’VE HEARD IN THESE COMMUNITY SESSIONS AND I WOULD ASK, TOO, THAT IF THE COUNCILMEMBERS WHO WERE ABLE TO ATTEND THE MEETINGS OFFER ANYTHING THAT THEY THINK THAT EMILY MIGHT HAVE MISSED IN HER RECAP OF WHAT WAS HEARD BECAUSE WE ALL SAT AT DIFFERENT TABLES. THERE WERE THINGS THAT WERE SAID THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN VOICED TO THE FULL GROUP. IF THERE WERE THINGS YOU HEARD OR PRIVY TO DURING THOSE DISCUSSIONS THAT YOU CAN ADD TO STRENGTHEN THE RECAP, PLEASE DO. AND IF THERE WERE IDEAS THAT PEOPLE PROPOSE THAT THEY THINK ACTION THE CITY COULD TAKE THAT WE’VE NOT CAPTURED, PLEASE ALSO VOICE THOSE FOR US. AND NOT SPECIFIC NECESSARILY WHAT CAME OUT OF IT, BUT I THINK THIS IS A GREAT APPROACH TO EL DOING WITH THE ISSUE OF USING COUNCIL AND STAFF AND KEEP THE COMMUNITY AND THE URGENCY AND THE SHORT TIMEFRAME TO GET POTENT ACTION AND A RECOMMENDATION OUT OF IT. WE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT HOW DO WE GET THINGS DONE. PERHAPS WE SHOULD LOOK TO THIS MODEL TO REALLY ATTACK THE THINGS THAT ARE MOST IMPORTANT TO US. I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN MORE HANDS ON AND BE MORE HANDS ON IN THIS MEETING. GREAT JOB, GUYS. NOT JUST FOR THIS ISSUE BUT THE LARGER WAY THE WAY COUNCIL DID THIS. WE CAN USE THIS AS A MODEL.>>THANK YOU. I AGREE. I THINK MAYOR LYLES WAS INTENTIONAL IN THE WAY SHE SET THIS UP, AND WE ALL COLLECTIVELY WANT TO BREAK THE NOTION THAT CHARLOTTE GOVERNMENT DOES LONG TIME– STUDIES THAT TAKE A LONG TIME THAT PUT 500-PAGE REPORT OUT AND IT JUST SITS ON A SHELF. THAT’S OFTEN BEEN THE PERCEPTION OF THE WAY THAT THINGS WORK AROUND HERE AND I THINK THAT WE ALL WOULD BE GLAD TO SHED THAT REPUTATION. I DO, LIKE YOU, APPRECIATE THE WAY THIS IS SET UP THAT WE CAN ACT QUICKLY. UNLESS ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS, WE HAVE COUNCILMEMBER AJMERA WITH US AS WELL. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE. WE’LL TURN IT OVER TO MR. RIOS.>>GOOD MORNING. THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE. AGAIN, I JUST WANTED TO WELCOME EVERYONE AND THANK YOU FOR THE TIME THAT YOU’VE PUT IN. AND AT A TIME WHEN MY FATHER PASSED DURING THIS SESSION, EMILY TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING AND DID AN AMAZING JOB, AS YOU WILL SEE TODAY. EXCEPTIONALLY GRATEFUL AND THANKFUL. I THINK WE’RE ON THE RIGHT PATH MOVING FORWARD AS WILL EXEMPLIFIED THROUGH TODAY’S PRESENTATION. EMILY>>SO THIS MEETING WAS BROUGHT TOGETHER OR THE COMMITTEE WAS BROUGHT TOGETHER VERY QUICKLY AND WE WERE CHARGED WITH LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY, UNDERSTANDING WHAT THEIR CHALLENGES WERE BUT THEN COLLABORATIVELY CREATING SOLUTIONS THAT COULD BE ACTIONED ON THE LOCAL LEVEL. SO WE HAD A LOT OF WORK. WE DID EIGHT MEETINGS. ONE OF WHICH WAS SPECIFIC TO THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY. SO THESE ARE EIGHT COMMUNITY LISTENING MEETINGS AND SEVEN ENGAGEMENT SESSIONS. ONE IN EACH DISTRICT, WHICH WERE SPECIFICALLY PUT INTO AREAS THAT WOULD CONNECT WITH OUR DIVERSE IMMIGRANT POPULATION WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF ATTENDEES. AT ONE MEETING ONLY, WE HAD OVER 250 PEOPLE SHOW UP. IT WAS REALLY EXCITING TO PRESENT TO THEM. THE MEETINGS WERE HELD IN ENGLISH OR SPANISH, DEPENDING ON THE MAJORITY NEEDS OF THE AUDIENCE WITH SIMULTANEOUS INTERPRETATION PROVIDED TO THOSE WHO SPOKE THE OTHER LANGUAGE, AND THEN OUR LIVE STREAMING ALSO REALLY MADE THESE AVAILABLE TO COMMUNITY MEMBERS SO THAT SINCE THESE MEETINGS WERE HELD IN THE SAME FORMAT, PEOPLE COULD CHOOSE TO WATCH IN ENGLISH OR SPANISH VERSION OF THE MEETING. AND THEN A LARGE BULK OF THE WORK WAS SPENT WORKING ON POLICY SUGGESTIONS FROM OUR COMMUNITY MEMBERS, AND WE ALSO HAD A VISIT TO IMMIGRATION COURT, AND THIS IS TO GAIN A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT OCCURS, WHAT PEOPLE EXPERIENCE, FOLLOWED BY PANEL DISCUSSION FROM IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS TO REALLY HAVE A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT HOW OUR FEDERAL LAWS FUNCTION WHEN IT COMES TO THESE ISSUES. SO FOR OUR NEXT STEPS FOR THE COMMITTEE, IT’S TO IDENTIFY IMMEDIATE ACTIONS. LARKEN SHARED THOSE WITH YOU WITH THE LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN, BUT THEN ALSO TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE SOME LONG-TERM EFFORTS THAT WOULD BE NEEDED TO REALLY ADDRESS SOME OF THE CONCERNS THAT WERE RAISED BY COMMUNITY MEMBERS. AND THEN I’LL PROVIDE A SUMMARY OF THE CONVERSATIONS AND WE’LL HAVE TO ESTABLISH SOME DATES TO RECONVENE AND CREATE TIME LINE FORCE FUTURE ACTIVITIES. BEFORE I PROVIDE YOU WITH A SUMMARY, WANT TO SPEND LIKE JUST A FEW MINUTES DISCUSSING WITH YOU ALL ABOUT SOME THINGS THAT YOU HEARD SO THAT WE CAN MAKE SURE THAT WE HAVE THAT CAPTURED AS WELL. SO IF THERE’S ANYTHING AS FAR AS THE CHALLENGES THAT THEY VOICED, WAS THERE ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR THAT REALLY STOOD OUT TO YOU DURING THESE MEETINGS OR HAD YOU HAD INTERACTIONS WITH COMMUNITY MEMBERS?>>MR. NEWTON.>>SO VERY EARLY ON, I THINK WE HEARD A LOT OF WHAT WAS PRESENTED TO US WHEN WE WERE SITTING AT THE DIAS. THERE WAS THE NOTION THAT WE NEED TO LOOK AT OUR FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE AGENDA. WE DID KIND OF HEAR THAT THROUGHOUT, BY THE WAY, BUT IT SEEMED AS THOUGH THAT STARTED TO BE A LITTLE MORE MUTED LATER INTO THE EXTENT OF MEETINGS THAT WE HAD. SO OUR LEGISLATIVE AGENDA, PARTICULARLY AS IT PERTAINS TO IMMIGRATION REFORM AND A PATHWAY TO CITIZENSHIP, RIGHT, WHICH I THINK HAS BEEN A BIPARTISAN NOTION FOR QUITE SOME TIME, REALLY APPROACHING AND ATTACKING THE DIFFICULTIES AND THE INADEQUACIES INHERENT IN THAT SYSTEM. I REALLY ENJOYED THE CONVERSATION THAT WE HAD WITH THE ATTORNEYS, WHO LAID IT ALL OUT AND SAID, IT’S NOT AS EASY AS SOME PEOPLE MIGHT THINK AND AT THE SAME TIME, PEOPLE WILL WAIT DECADES AND THERE ARE CAPS ON CITIZENSHIP OR OTHER FORMS OF VISAS, GREEN CARDS, OTHER FORMS OF– WHAT’S THE WORD HERE? EMILY HELP ME. YOU KNOW WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT.>>VISAS.>>YEAH, VISAS, ET CETERA. WE HEARD A LOT ABOUT A STATEMENT EARLY ON. LATER IN THE MEETINGS, WE STARTED TO HEAR, YOU KNOW, WE STILL WANT A STATEMENT THAT HEDGES AWAY FROM THAT PROPOSITION THAT, YOU KNOW, THERE NEEDS TO BE THE STATEMENT AGAINST ICE. I THINK WHAT BECAME MORE PROMINENT AND I’M SURE MY COLLEAGUES WOULD ROBLY AGREE WITH ME HERE AND WHAT BECAME MORE PROMINENT WAS THIS GAP IN COMMUNICATION BETWEEN WHO WE ARE AS A CITY WHAT WE DO, OUR LIMITATIONS, AND WHAT THE COMMUNITY, PARTICULARLY OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY UNDERSTANDS. SO WE HAVE A LOT OF CONVERSATION PERTAINING TO WAYS THAT WE—WAYS THAT WE CAN BRIDGE THAT GAP. WHAT I HEARD, SO IN THAT BIG MEETING, THE ONE– SO OUT OFF OF– OUT ON THE WEST SIDE, OFF TUCKASEEGEE, IN THAT BIG MEETING, I HEARD CONCERNS THAT YOU WOULDN’T HEAR NI ANYWHERE ELSE, PUBLIC SAFETY CONCERNS, YOU KNOW, THE NEED FOR POLICE PRESENCE AND RESPONSE, EMPLOYMENT CONCERNS, RIGHT. WE WANT GOOD-PAYING, QUALITY JOBS AND WE WANT GOOD EDUCATION PROVIDED TO OUR CHILDREN, SO I THINK THAT COMMUNICATION GAP OR BARRIERS THERE WAS SEEN AS A HURDLE THAT WE CAN HELP THE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY OVERCOME, AND I WANTED TO SAY THIS, TOO, AND YOU KNOW, I’M TALKING A LOT HERE, SO I APOLOGIZE ABOUT THAT. I WANTED TO SAY THIS, TOO. WE CAN’T IGNORE THE FACT THAT, YOU KNOW, THERE’S A LARGER IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY, AND I THINK WE HEARD THAT, TOO. YOU KNOW, SO THE COMMUNITY IS– OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY, IT’S WORLDWIDE, RIGHT? AND I THINK SO AS I WAS FLIPPING THROUGH THIS LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN, I SAW, THAT WE’RE LOOKING AT THE– WE’RE LOOKING AT CHINESE. I SEE VIETNAMESE, AFRICAN, AND HINDI, AND I THINK THAT WE SAW SUCH A WIDE RANGE OF PEOPLE SHOWING UP TO HAVE THEIR VOICES HEARD AND IT REALLY SHOWS HOW DIVERSE OUR COMMUNITY IS. WE CAN’T OVERLOOK THAT EITHER>>THANK YOU, SIR. MR. MITCHELL.>>THANK YOU, MR. CHAIR. TWO THINGS, ONE COUNCILMEMBER NEWTON TOUCHED ON WITH THE COMMUNICATION, BUT THE FEEDBACK I RECEIVED IS WHATEVER WE DO FROM THIS DAY FORWARD AS WE IMPLEMENT NEW THINGS, WE STILL NEED A COMMUNICATION VEHICLE TO MAKE SURE THE MESSAGE IS BEING RELATED, AND I THINK THAT WAS A BIG PART. I’M GOING TO GIVE STAFF A LOT OF CREDIT. I THINK THE MOST POWERFUL SLIDE THAT YOU GUYS DID WAS THE ONE THAT SHOWED THE STATE, THE FEDERAL, AND THE CITY RESPONSIBILITY. BECAUSE EVEN THROUGH THE TRANSLATION, YOU COULD HEAR SOME OF THE RESIDENTS, THEY WERE INFORMED. SO NOT ONLY I THOUGHT THIS MEETING WAS GOOD JUST TO HEAR WHAT ISSUES WAS TO INFORM AS WELL, AND THE LAST THING IT DID TO ME IS THE ECONOMIC IMPACT THAT WE NEED TO ADDRESS IN OUR COMMUNITY WHEN WE TALK ABOUT OUR CITIZENS WHO ARE FEARFUL TO GO TO JOBS. I’M IN CONSTRUCTION. WHEN 34% OF THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY IS MADE UP OF THE THESE CITIZENS AND THEY DO NOT WANT TO GO TO WORK, THAT HAS A TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON OUR COMMUNITY. FOR ME, IT WAS COMMUNICATION, A PERMANENT COMMUNICATION VEHICLE AND THEN THE ECONOMIC IMPACT AND HOW DO WE ADDRESS THOSE? THANK YOU, MR. CHAIR.>>COUNCILMEMBER AJMERA.>>THANK YOU, MR. CHAIRMAN. SO I HAD INTENDED TO ATTEND LAST WEEK’S IMMIGRATION COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MEETINGS AT A FAMILY EMERGENCY AND I HAD TO FLY OUT AND I COULDN’T ATTEND SOME OF THOSE MEETINGS AND I DID REACH OUT TO SEVERAL FOLKS IN OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY AND THE FEEDBACK HAS BEEN VERY POSITIVE AROUND HOW WE ARE ENGAGING OUR CITIZENS. ESPECIALLY THE CIVIC ENGAGEMENT AROUND WHAT IS IT THAT CITY CAN DO? WHAT IS IT THE STATE CAN DO? AND WHAT OUR FEDERAL AGENCIES CAN DO? I THINK THIS IS AN IMPORTANT EDUCATIONAL AWARENESS EFFORT ON OUR SIDE AS WELL. I WAS ACTUALLY REVIEWING THE LANGUAGE ACCESS LINE AS COUNCILMEMBER NEWTON ALLUDED TO EARLIER, AND I THINK ALL THE LANGUAGES THAT ARE SPOKEN IN OUR REGION AND ACTUALLY TWO OUT OF, I GUESS, EIGHT OR TEN OF THEM THAT I ACTUALLY SPEAK AND I REMEMBER THIS REALLY RESONATES WITH ME BEING A FIRST GENERATION IMMIGRANT AND HAVING GONE THROUGH THIS PROCESS OF– HAVING GONE THROUGH THIS PROCESS OF BECOMING A U.S. CITIZEN WHERE MY JOURNEY HAS STARTED WITH THE LANGUAGE BARRIER AND REALLY HAVING THE RESOURCES WHEN IT COMES TO GOVERNMENT RESOURCES HAVING AN ACCESS TO THOSE RESOURCES IN NATIVE LANGUAGE, CERTAINLY HELPS WITH THE TRANSITION, SO I THINK THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP WITH IMCONGRATULATIONS– WITH IMMIGRANTS BEING INTEGRATED INTO OUR OVERALL CULTURE HERE FOR THE CITY. SO I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING SOME OF THE STEPS BEING IMPLEMENTED AND GREAT JOB STAFF FOR THE WORK THAT YOU HAVE DONE.>>MR. BOKHARI, YOU WERE ABLE TO JOIN US IN YOUR DISTRICT, DISTRICT SIX, WAS THERE ANYTHING THAT YOU HEARD THERE THAT YOU DON’T THINK WE’VE CAPTURED IN THIS DISCUSSION?>>NO. I MEAN, I THINK THAT THIS WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE GIVEN THE OPTIONS THAT WE HAD. THESE MEETINGS, THE INFORMATION THAT WAS RELATED AND THE LISTENING AND INFORMATION WE GOT BACK WAS FAR MORE– IT WAS A LOT HARDER WORK BUT IT WAS FAR MORE EFFECTIVE IN THE FORMATION OF THIS COMMITTEE AND YOUR LEADERSHIP AND EVERYONE WAS ON IT, I THINK, DID A REALLY GOOD JOB. THE QUESTION IS, WHAT DID WE LEARN? WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? THAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. I PERSONALLY LEARNED A LOT. I LEARNED THAT ON ONE SIDE OF IT, YOU KNOW, I THINK SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE AFFECTED BY THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN ON ANOTHER SCHOOL OF THOUGHT THAN ME WHEN WE GOT TO HAVE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT THIS, THEY LOOK BACK AT ACTIONS THAT THE CITY TOOK AND WE LOOKED AT CITY, STATE, FEDERAL, AND THE DIFFERENT LANES, AND SOME OF THEM KIND OF FEEL THAT IN HINDSIGHT, MAYBE 287G IN MAKING A POINT MADE THINGS WORSE. I HEARD THAT DIRECTLY FROM SOME PEOPLE. NOT EVERYBODY FELT THAT WAY AND SOME OF THEM DEFINITELY DID. THAT WAS EYE-OPENING TO ME AND WHAT WAS EYE-OPENING TO ME, TOO, WHEN WE TALK ABOUT IMMIGRATION AND THIS TOPIC, A LOT OF TIMES, WE DON’T THINK ABOUT A LARGE GROUP OF THE INDIANS WITH US AND HAVE THE H1 AND H4 VISA CHALLENGES AND THAT DOESN’T EVEN JUMP TO YOUR MIND BUT THEIR STORIES ARE JUST AS IMPACTFUL AND JUST AS RELEVANT TO WHY COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM IS SO NECESSARY. I LEARNED A LOT. MY HOPE IS THAT WE GET SOME REAL TANGIBLE, SMALLER ITEMS THAT ARE IN OUR WHEELHOUSE THAT ARE ABLE TO GO AND NOT MAKE THINGS WORSE BUT IN SMALL WAYS MAKE THINGS BETTER WHILE THIS GETS SOLVED AND I HOPE IT GETS SOLVED AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL WHERE IT BELONGS.>>THANK YOU FOR THAT. ONE THING I’LL MENTION TO YOUR LAST POINT THERE. I THINK THE GOAL OF THIS COMMITTEE SHOULD BE TO ADVANCE THINGS TODAY IN A FUTURE MEETING OR TWO THAT WE WILL HAVE TWO TO THE FULL COUNCIL, AND IT’S ALSO OUR RESPONSIBILITY, AND WE’LL LEAN ON TO YOU HELP US WITH THIS. IT’S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO SEND FORTH THINGS TO COUNCIL THAT WE CAN DO.>>RIGHT.>>SO I THINK– I’VE HAD CONVERSATIONS WITH THEM TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE BRINGING FORWARD TO YOU IDEAS THAT ARE WITHIN OUR PURVIEW AND ARE WITHIN OUR SCOPE OF WORK AND DON’T POTENTIALLY HAVE SOME SORT OF HUGE, DETRIMENTAL IMPACT THAT WE MIGHT NOT HAVE SEEN COMING AND WE CAUSE MORE HARM THAN GOOD.>>THAT’S TRUE.>>I THINK, TO YOUR POINT ABOUT MAKING SURE THAT WE DO THINGS THAT ARE THE BUSINESS OF THE CITY, I THINK THAT WOULD BE PART OF THIS COMMITTEE’S CHARGE IS TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE OPERATING WITH IN THE BUSINESS OF THE CITY WITH THE IDEAS THAT WE SEND FORWARD TO COUNCIL, BUT HOPEFULLY TURN INTO POLL POLICY ITEMS OR POLICY ADOPTIONS. WITH THAT, MISS YAFFEY, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOUR RECAP– MR. NEWTON HAD ONE MORE THING.>>ONE MORE THING. I FORGOT SOMETHING. IN THAT THAT LONG DIATRIBE I HAD EARLIER, ONE THING I HEARD ABOUT WAS I.D.s. FOLKS IN OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY, AND I DON’T KNOW IF THAT IS IN OUR PURVIEW OR OUR WHEELHOUSE, BUT THAT SEEMED TO BE A COMMON THEME THAT CAME UP AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN, JUST TO PROVIDE, RIGHT, FOR THE NECESSITIES OF LIFE FOR ONE’S SELF, ONE’S FAMILY, INSURANCE. YOU NEED AN I.D. TO DRIVE AND TO GET CAR INSURANCE AND HEALTH INSURANCE AND THAT WAS SOMETHING THAT I THINK CAME UP TIME AND AGAIN. I DON’T KNOW IF THAT IS– CERTAINLY NOT WITHIN OUR WHEELHOUSE SPECIFICALLY BUT MAYBE SOMETHING WE CAN DISCUSS ON A STATE LEGISLATIVE AGENDA ITEM WHO KNOWS. I WANT TO THROW THAT OUT THERE, TOO.>>THAT’S A GOOD POINT. NOT TO GET AHEAD OF OUR DISCUSSION HERE, BUT I THINK THERE’S A COUPLE OF WAYS TO LOOK AT THAT. THERE WILL BE THINGS THAT WILL COME UP THAT ARE NOT NECESSARILY IN THE PURVIEW OF THE CITY BUT THAT DOESN’T MEAN WE CAN’T ADVOCATE TO THEM.>>THAT’S RIGHT.>>TO WHATEVER BODY THAT IS IN THE PURVIEW OF. WHILE THERE IS A STATE LAW THAT PRECLUDES US FROM DOING A MUNICIPAL I.D., WE CAN THINK OUT OF THE BOX TO GET PEOPLE ACCESS TO PASSPORTS THAT WOULD BE A GOVERNMENT-ISSUED I.D. AND POSSIBLY FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY BUT ONE THAT COULD BE USED FOR THE SAME THINGS THAT YOU JUST MENTIONED PEOPLE NEED I.D. FOR.>>LEGAL REPRESENTATION, JUST JOGGED MY MEMORY ON THAT, TOO>>IF YOU HAVE A RECAP.>>THE REST OF THIS PROCESS AS WE WENT THROUGH THESE MEETINGS WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT ALEXIS GOURDEN AND STAFF AND COMMITTEE ENGAGEMENT, SO I JUST WANT TO RECOGNIZE THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO REALLY MADE THIS HARD WORK ABLE TO HAPPEN. AND AS FAR AS THE SUMMARY OF COMMUNITY CHALLENGES, SO HERE, WE REALLY WANTED TO DO OUR DUE DILIGENCE AND SHARE THINGS THAT WERE REPEATED MULTIPLE TIMES THROUGHOUT EACH MEETING. ACCESS TO RESOURCES, AS YOU MENTIONED WAS A BIG ISSUE, BOTH DUE TO LANGUAGE BARRIERS, BUT JUST THAT AWARENESS OF THESE RESOURCES WEREN’T REACHING OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES. AND THERE’S SOME RESOURCES THAT JUST AREN’T ACCESSIBLE DEPENDING ON SOMEBODY’S IMMIGRATION STATUS, THINGS LIKE, YOU KNOW, FEDERAL, ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HOUSING NEED TO BE ACCESSIBLE TO ALL IMMIGRANTS. BEING ACCEPTED BY THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE. SO WE HEARD A LOT ABOUT I.D.s BUT ALSO WHAT THE IS THE ADDITIONAL MEANING OF NOT BEING ABLE TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF, NOT ONLY ARE PEOPLE NOT ABLE TO DRIVE WITHOUT A STATE I.D., BUT IN CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS, THEY’RE NOT ABLE TO PARTICIPATE WITH ASSISTING THEIR CHILDREN IN THEIR EDUCATION AND FIELD TRIPS IT LIMITS ACCESS TO PRESCRIBED MEDICINE, WHICH WAS SOMETHING THAT WE HEARD THROUGH THESE MEETINGS. BUT ALSO IN ORDER TO KNOWN BY THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE. JUST BEING ABLE TO SHARE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS WAS A CHALLENGE AND A DESIRE AND THIS FEELING OF BEING INVISIBLE THAT YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITHIN THE SHADOWS. PEOPLE WANT TO FEEL SAFE, SO JUST A COMMON FEELING THAT ACROSS ANY COMMUNITY AND THIS WOULD INCLUDE, YOU KNOW, AWARENESS AND PERCEPTION OF HOW– WHAT CMPD PRACTICES ARE AS A DESIRE TO UNDERSTAND BETTER ABOUT HOW CMPD FUNCTIONS AND THEN IT IS FEAR OF DEPORTATION AND FAMILY SEPARATION ESPECIALLY FROM STATUS FAMILIES AND WE HEARD A FEW EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WHO HAD EXPERIENCED DISCRIMINATION WHEN ACCESSING MUNICIPAL RESOURCES AND IT WAS THIS QUESTION OF WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I REPORT THIS? HOW DO WE FIX THAT PROBLEM ADOAK ARE DYKSTAL CHALLENGES WERE HEALTH CONCERNS AND THIS NEED FOR LOW-COST HEALTH CARE AND THIS UNDERSTANDING THAT SOME OF THESE FEARS THAT ARE CREATED ALSO CREATE LONGER TERM ISSUES FOR MENTAL HEALTH, AND A DESIRE FOR INFORMATION REPORTING. SO WANTING TO SHARE WHAT THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF IMGRANDS ARE HERE SPECIFICALLY IN CHARLOTTE, WHAT IS THE DIVERSITY OF EMPLOYEES FROM THE CITY THAT SERVE THEM, SO YOU KNOW, BOTH ORIGINS OF WHERE PEOPLE ARE FROM, BUT ALSO THEIR LINGUISTIC ABILITIES AND A DESIRE TO HAVE MORE INFORMATION JUST ALL AROUND SO THAT IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES CAN CONNECT WITH EACH OTHER, OUR NEW AND LONG-TERM RESIDENTS CAN CONNECT WITH EACH OTHER AND IT’S THIS LARGER UNDERSTANDING IN CHARLOTTE OF WHO WE ARE. SUGGESTED ACTIONS THAT CAME FROM THE VOICING OF CHALLENGES WAS THE DESIRE TO REDUCE COMMUNITY AND WE ASKED PEOPLE TO FOCUS ON WHAT IS LOCAL PURVIEW AND WHAT CAN WE DO HERE IN THE CITY, AND THERE IS THIS QUESTION ABOUT HOW DO WE INCREASE THIS EDUCATION OF WHAT CMPD PRACTICES AND POLICIES ARE. THERE IS A REQUEST FOR A STATEMENT OF SUPPORT FOR IMMIGRANTS FROM MULTIPLE AREAS, BE IT FROM CMPD OR ELECTED OFFICIALS OR JUST IN GENERAL FROM THE CITY AND A DESIRE TIME PROVE HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION. SO WITH THIS PROCESS OF PROVIDING SIMULTANEOUS INTERPRETATION AND THEN HAVING BILINGUAL STAFF BEING ABLE TO OFFER THESE MEETINGS IN EITHER SPANISH OR ENGLISH, IT WAS HOW DO WE EXTEND THAT IN A LARGER WAY OVER WHAT WE DO, AND THEN WE HEARD A LOT ABOUT COMMUNITY LIAISONS, PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD THAT THERE MAY ALWAYS BE THIS FEAR OF ACCESSING GOVERNMENT. SO HOW DO WE BRIDGE THAT GAP WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE MORE COMFORTABLE AND CAN ACT IN THIS LEADERSHIP ROLE TO SPEAK WITH GOVERNMENT AND GO BACK AND SPEAK WITH THE COMMUNITY. AND CULTURAL COMPETENCY. SO AS WE UNDERSTAND BETTER HOW TO SPEAK ACROSS CULTURES AND ACROSS DIFFERENCES, HOW THAT WILL IMPROVE THE WAY THAT WE REACH OUT TO RESIDENTS IN OUR COMMUNITY. AND THEN WHAT WAS BROUGHT UP MANY TIMES DURING THE MEETINGS IS A DESIRE FOR LEGAL DEFENSE FUND.>>THERE’S STILL A MULTITUDE OF THINGS THAT FALL UNDER ADVOCACY AGENDA BECAUSE THEY WEREN’T UNDER OUR PURVIEW. THE CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS, WE HAD MENTIONED OVERCROWDING, BULLYING, AGAIN, THAT I.D. REQUIREMENT TO PARTICIPATE WITH THEIR CHILDREN. FOR THE COUNTY, THIS NEED FOR MENTAL HEALTH CARE RESOURCES AND PHYSICAL HEALTH CARE RESOURCES AT A LOW COST. THE STATE MUNICIPAL I.D. AND ADVOCACY FOR THAT OR AN UNDERSTANDING OF HOW COMMUNITY I.D. CAN BE UTILIZED HERE IN CHARLOTTE AND THEN ON THE FEDERAL LEVEL, IMMIGRATION REFORM. WE HEARD A LOT FROM PEOPLE ABOUT THE CHALLENGES BEING FACED AND THE VERY LARGE INDIAN COMMUNITY ABOUT H1B VISAS AND THE CONSTANT NOTION OF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN LONG TERM FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HERE, ASYLUM SEEKERS, PEOPLE WHO HAVE TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS AND DACA RECIPIENTS. SO I WANT TO MOVE INTO THINGS THAT WE’VE IDENTIFIED WITH COUNCILMEMBER EGLESTON AS FAR AS RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION. SO HE SHARED WITH YOU ABOUT THE LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN THAT WOULD BE ABLE TO BE ENACTED CITYWIDE, AND LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN DOES IS PROVIDE A TEMPLATE FOR HOW WE PROVIDE TRANSLATIONS TO PEOPLE IF THEY CALL IN OR IF THEY COME IN TO VISIT US IN PERSON AND THEN AS WE GO OUT AND DO COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MEETINGS AND ALSO HOW WE TRANSLATE OUR DOCUMENTS AND A BIG PART OF THIS IS ANYTHING THAT INTRODUCES SOMEBODY TO A CITY SERVICE, IF THOSE ITEMS ARE TRANSLATED INTO OUR MOST NEEDED LANGUAGES, THEN WE REALLY BRIDGE THIS GAP OF HOW WE ARE SHARING SERVICES WITH OUR COMMUNITIES, BUT ALSO, INCENTIVIZING OUR BILINGUAL EMPLOYEES TO MAKE SURE THAT WE RETAIN THEM IS A BIG PART OF A LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN. WE HAVE A REALLY DIVERSE SET OF EMPLOYEES HERE AT THE CITY, AND HOW DO WE ENSURE THAT WE’RE UTILIZING ALL OF THESE SKILLS AS THEY DO WORK FOR OUR RESIDENTS AND THEN OTHER CITY OPERATIONS, RECOMMENDATIONS TO ENSURE THAT WE’RE DOING COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT, THAT REALLY BRINGS US OUT INTO THE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY. WHEN FEDERICO PLANNED THESE MEETING OUT HE LOOKED AT WHERE OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES TEND TO LIVE ACROSS OUR DIVERSE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES TO FIND PLACES THAT WOULD REALLY BE OPEN TO PEOPLE COMING TO SPEAK WITH US. SO HOW DO WE ENSURE THAT WE DO THIS ON A REGULAR BASIS, NO MATTER WHAT THE TOPIC IS. REQUESTING DATA REGARDING OUR CITY STAFF AND THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND WHO WE ARE, THE BETTER WE UNDERSTAND HOW WE CAN BETTER SERVE OUR RESIDENTS. SO PHASE TWO, SOME OF THESE ARE MORE LONG-TERM EFFORTS AND HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF HOW WE ROLL THESE OUT. THE FIRST ONE MAY BE AN ABILITY TO ENACT THIS FAIRLY QUICKLY. SO OUR BOARDS AND ANYTHINGSES ARE HERE TO REFLECT ARE HERE TO REPRESENT ALL OF OUR CITIZENS AND THEIR NEEDS AND HOW DO WE MAKE SURE THAT THE PEOPLE ON THE BOARDS REALLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO THAT? WE USE GRANICUS TO MANAGE OUR BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS AND IT TELLS US THE MAKEUP OF THEM. SO AS OUR ELECT OFFICIALS AS YOU MAKE APPOINTMENTS FOR THOSE TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS TO REALLY IDENTIFY WHAT THE BALANCE IS AS APPOINTMENTS ARE MADE. EXPLORE AND ATTRACT RECRUITMENT FOR BILINGUAL EMPLOYEES. GOT A LOT OF GREAT PEOPLE HERE IN THE CITY. HOW DO WE ENSURE THAT AS WE’RE FILLING NEW JOB POSITIONS THAT WE’RE OPENING THIS UP TO THE BEST PEOPLE THAT CAN FILL THOSE. YOU ALSO HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU AN EXAMPLE OF A COMPACT. SO THERE WAS LOTS OF REQUESTS OF STATEMENT OF SUPPORT FOR IMMIGRANTS BUT WHAT WE’VE SEEN AS GOOD EXAMPLES FROM OTHER PLACES IS SOMETHING THAT HAS A LITTLE BIT MORE OOMPH BEHIND PIT UTAH WAS THE FIRST STATE TO CREATE A COMPACT AND WHAT THEY DO IS USE IT AS A SIEVE TO FILTER THEIR WORK THROUGH. SO IF ANYTHING WERE TO COME UP THAT WOULD BE IN CONFLICT WITH THE COMPACT, THEN IT IS SEEN IN CONFLICT WITH THE STATE’S VALUES, SO CAN WE CREATE SOMETHING LIKE THIS ON A MUNICIPAL LEVEL FOR THE CITY TO SAY THESE ARE OUR VALUES AND WE WILL EVALUATE EVERYTHING THAT WE DO THROUGH THAT? AND THEN ENSURE THAT OUR COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT EFFORTS ARE REALLY REACHING ALL OF OUR RESIDENTS AND HAVING AN EVALUATION OF THAT IN CREATING BEST PRACTICES.>>SO CERTAINLY IF ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS FOR THEM ON ANY OF THAT STUFF, FEEL FREE. BUT WHAT I’D LIKE TO DO AFTER WE TAKE ANY QUESTIONS IS GIVE YOU A COPY OF THIS UTAH COMPACT. I WOULD LOVE FOR EVERYBODY TO TAKE THAT HOME AND TAKE A LOOK AT IT AS SOME OF YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD THIS IS ADOPTED IN SEVERAL STATES. MOST OF WHICH ARE ACTUALLY REPUBLICAN-LED LEGISLATURES, AND SO IT’S NOT– THIS IS NOT A PARTISAN THING AND YOU’LL SEE THAT AS YOU READ THROUGH HERE. AGAIN, TO MR. NEWTON’S REMINDING US THAT WE — WE WANT TO FLESH OUT, THAT’S THE BEST USE OF THE REST OF TODAY’S MEETING TIME, BECAUSE I DO WANT TO TAKE ACTION ON THIS QUICKLY.>>THANK YOU, MR. CHAIR. THE LIST OF THE LANGUAGE GROUP PROPORTION, IS THAT — I GUESS HOW — WHAT WAS THE SOURCE OF THIS DATA?>>SO THAT IS SOURCED FROM THE CENSUS DATA, BUT ALSO, REQUESTING INFORMATION FROM THE MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS. A MIX BETWEEN CENSUS DATA AND MCMCSCHOOLS DATA GIVE US A GOOD SENSE OF THE TOP LANGUAGES WOULD BE.>>I THINK THAT’S A GOOD START IN TERMS OF CENSUS DATA. I REMEMBER HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH A CMS SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER, AND THEY HAD PRESENTED A REPORT AND THEY HAD ADDITIONAL TWO LANGUAGES AND I KNOW I’VE BEEN IN CONTACT, OBVIOUSLY, WITH THE DIVERSE INDIAN COMMUNITY BEING PART OF THE COMMUNITY, ONE LANGUAGE THAT DEFINITELY WE SHOULD CONSIDER WOULD BE — I DID A REQUEST FOR THAT LANGUAGE, SPECIFICALLY, AS MORE — AS I SEE MORE POPULATION, SPECIFICALLY, FROM THAT SPECIFIC GROUP. SO I KNOW THAT IT WASN’T ACTUALLY TOP LANGUAGE LIST WHEN I HAD SEEN THE REPORT FROM CMS, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THAT’S SOMETHING WE CAN CONSIDER?>>YEAH. AND ALSO, BEST PRACTICES WITH LANGUAGE ACCESS IS THAT EVEN IF THE TOP FIVE LANGUAGES DON’T INCLUDE ALL OF THE LANGUAGES THAT ARE NEEDED, THERE’S A PROCESS TO TRANSLATIONS INTO ANY LANGUAGES THAT WE WOULD NEED TO COMPLY WITH.>>OKAY. AND ONE LAST QUESTION, I KNOW I HAD ASKED YOU ABOUT THIS AND YOU HAD SENT ME A RESOURCE FOR PATHWAY TO U.S. CITIZENSHIP, THE EXAM THAT IMMIGRANTS HAVE TO TAKE IN ORDER TO BE A U.S. CITIZEN. HAS THAT BEEN — HAS THAT COME UP IN SOME OF THE CONVERSATIONS? BECAUSE THAT’S SOMETHING I OFTEN SEE A LOT. AND THAT’S THE REASON I HAD REQUESTED THAT RESOURCE. BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THAT HAD COME UP DURING YOUR COMMUNITY ENGANGMENTS?>>NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP DIDN’T COME UP A LOT DURING THE ENGANGMENT SESSIONS, BUT ONE OF THE EFFORTS THAT WE HAVE THROUGH OUR PROCESS, WHICH ISN’T ON HERE — IS WE HAVE A NATURALIZATION GROUP OF PROVIDERS THAT MEETS QUARTERLY, THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, AND WE’RE WORKING ON HOW WE INCREASE THE NUMBER OF NATURALIZATIONS IN CHARLOTTE, BUT ALSO, YOU KNOW, DO A PR CAMPAIGN AROUND IT SO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHERE THEY CAN ACCESS RESOURCES TO BECOME NATURALIZED.>>JUST TO BE CLEAR ON THAT, WE CONVENED THAT GROUP. SO WE’RE THE CONVENEER OF THIS BODY OF NATURALIZATION PROVIDERS, AND WE LEAD THAT EFFORT.>>OKAY.>>SO WE’RE REALLY ASSISTING CREATE YATING THE LOGISTICAL GROUP WHERE THESE CAN MEET AND TALK ABOUT CONCISE GOALS.>>CITIZENSHIP — AS A CITY WE’VE JOINED THAT THAT, YOU KNOW, WE ARE COMMITTED TO INCREASING NATURALIZATIONS HERE IN CHARLOTTE.>>SO I THINK THAT’S SOMETHING WE OUGHT TO CONSIDER, IN OUR PATH FORWARD, BECAUSE I THINK THAT’S A VERY IMPORTANT — IT’S A VERY IMPORTANT POINT, BECAUSE HAVING TAKEN SOME OF THIS CLASSES AND HAVING BENEFITTED FROM THAT TO BEING NATURALIZED CITIZEN, I THINK THAT THE CLASS CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A LANGUAGE DIFFICULTY. SO IF WE CAN SOMEHOW MAKE THAT PART OF THE PR CAMPAIGN, I THINK THAT WOULD CERTAINLY HELP. AND ONE LAST THING I OFTEN GET REQUESTS FOR IS SUPPORT LETTER FOR — AS OUR FOLKS APPLY, AS MANY OF OUR RESIDENTS APPLY FOR SOME SORT OF VISAS OR FOR SOME OF THE RECOMMENDATION LETTER TO ATTACH IT TO THEIR APPLICATION. AND WHEN I GET SOME OF THOSE REQUESTS, I SORT OF CONNECT THEM WITH OUR WOMEN’S OFFICE, DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY LIVE IN CHARLOTTE, WE HAVE TO CONSIDER THAT AS WELL. SO MAYBE SOMEHOW PUTTING THAT RESOURCE OUT THERE, HERE’S WHERE TO GO IF YOU NEED — IF YOU NEED SPECIFIC RESOURCE AROUND LETTERS OF SUPPORT FOR APPLICATIONS, RECOMMENDATION LETTERS, THIS IS WHERE YOU GO FOR FEDERAL REQUESTS. SO I THINK THOSE ARE REALLY THREE THINGS THAT I OFTEN GET REQUESTS FOR FROM IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY. AND OBVIOUSLY, THE BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS HAVE BEEN — THE BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS FOR OUR CITIES — FOR OUR CITY, I HAVE SEEN THE PARTICIPATION HAVE GONE UP. AND I THINK IF WE CAN CONTINUE TO SOMEHOW BE VERY INTENTIONAL WHEN WE APPOINT BOARDS AND WHEN WE APPOINT VARIOUS BOARDS AND COMMISSION MEMBERS TO KEEP THAT IN MIND THAT WE ARE BEING VERY INTENTIONAL ABOUT HAVING THAT IMMIGRANT REPRESENTATION. DO WE HAVE ANY DATA ON THAT AS TO WHAT WOULD BE THE PERCENTAGE OF IMMIGRANT POPULATION THAT SERVES ON OUR CURRENT EXISTING BOARDS?>>I THINK WE COULD DO IT BY — DATA, MAYBE NOT COUNTRY OF ORIGIN, BUT WE WOULD HAVE THAT ABILITY TO — DATA QUICKLY.>>I DID SEE THAT WAS ONE OF THE — ONE OF THE BULLET POINTS IN YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS. SO I THINK IF WE CAN GET SOMEHOW THAT DATA AND FIGURE OUT, IN TERMS OF POPULATION, ARE THERE REALLY GETTING A FAIR REPRESENTATION IN CITY BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS? AND I AM BEING INTENTIONAL ABOUT REACHING OUT TO THEM AND SHOWING THAT SOME OF THIS RESIDENTS DO GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE ON THIS BOARD. THANKS.>>THANK YOU. MR. –>>YEAH, SO I — I LOVE THIS, BY THE WAY, THE LANGUAGE ACCESS PLAN. I THINK YOU HAD SAID SOMETHING WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR A LITTLE WHILE. IT’S FANTASTIC IN THE COMMUNITY MEETINGS, IT’S SOMETHING THAT CAME UP AGAIN AND AGAIN AS WELL. I THINK IT’S — IT’S AMBITIOUS IN NATURE, AND I LOVE THAT, TOO. I THINK MAYBE SOMETHING THAT WE SHOULD START TALKING ABOUT FROM A BUDGETARY STANDPOINT, BECAUSE I FIGURE WE’RE PROBABLY TO COVER ALL THE NEED, SO THIS WIDER RANGE, YOU KNOW, THE BROAD NATURE OF OUR IMGRAN T — IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY, WE HAVE TO FILL MORE THAN ONE POSITION TO DO THAT. HAVING SAID THAT, I THINK MAYBE A GOOD START MAYBE THIS ONE-STOP-SHOP BEING CREATED DOWNSTAIRS WHERE WE IMPLEMENT A PORTION OF THAT TO BE DEDICATED FOR OUR IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY AND THEN I THINK FROM THE STANDPOINT OF WHAT MY COLLEAGUE COUNCIL MEMBER MITCHELL SAID EARLIER, WE’RE GOING TO NEED TO FIND SOME WAY TO GET THE WORD OUT, TO THE COMMUNITY, TOO? IT’S GREAT THAT WE HAVE THIS AVAILABLE, BUT WHAT’S THE USE IF NOBODY KNOWS IT’S THERE? AND SO FINDING SOME SORT OF, WHAT MAYBE AN ACTIVE — SOMEWAY, RIGHT, TO PR-WISE, YOU NAME IT, TO GET THE WORD OUT THAT, YOU KNOW, WE’RE — WE’RE OPEN FOR THE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY AND WE SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE AND AT THE SAME TIME, MAYBE HAVE A ONE-STOP-SHOP FOR YOU, TOO, FOR ALL CITY SERVICES THAT YOU CAN COME TO AND, YOU KNOW, ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING YOU MAY NEED. AND MAYBE EVEN THERE MIGHT BE SOME SPACE TO PARTNER WITH THE COUNTY AND THE STATE AS WELL, SO. JUST WANTED TO PUT THAT OUT THERE. GREAT. GREAT JOB. GREAT JOB ON THAT. FANTASTIC.>>ONE LAST –>>YES –>>THANK YOU, CHAIR. THIS IS A QUESTION FOR MR. MITCHELL. DO WE HAVE SPECIFIC PLAN TO ADDRESS SOME SORT OF CONTRACT MEETING OPPORTUNITIES FOR IMMIGRANT BUSINESS OWNERS? BECAUSE I KNOW THAT’S ALSO HAVE COME UP, SEVERAL TIMES.>>AND I WILL SAY YES, AND DON’T GET MAD AT ME, SO BUT WE DID HAVE INITIAL MEETING WITH JORGE — AND WHAT’S THE OTHER GENTLEMEN’S NAME.>>JOSE HERNANDEZ.>>AND WE STARTED TALKING ABOUT LOOKING AT CONTRACT OPPORTUNITIES, HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE THAT THEY CAN CONTINUE TO DO WORK. AND HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE THAT WE CAN INCREASE THEIR PARTICIPATION? AND SO WE — ABOUT THREE OR FOUR WEEKS AGO, AND SO, WE’RE TRYING TO SCHEDULE THAT MEETING AGAIN.>>OKAY. SO I THINK THAT’S GREAT THAT WE ARE SORT OF INVOLVING THE IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY.>>YES, MA’AM.>>AND I’M HAPPY TO ALSO CONNECT, WHENEVER THAT MEETING IS SCHEDULED.>>OKAY.>>TO ASIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE.>>OKAY.>>BECAUSE THEY CAN BRING IN ALL OTHER ASIAN IMMIGRANT BUSINESSES AND ALSO, PROBABLY, AFRICAN COMMUNITY, WE ALSO HAVE A HUGE POPULATION OF AFRICAN COMMUNITY IN DISTRICT FIVE. AND SO I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE BEING –>>EVERYBODY IN.>>BEING COMPREHENSIVE IN OUR APPROACH TO IMMIGRANT BUSINESS OWNERS.>>SO WE’LL SAY, AND GO TO MR. MITCHELL, HE’S A VERY ACTION-ORIENTED INDIVIDUAL, WHAT DIRECTION HE’S GOING TO DO IN. BUT I THINK THE POINT IS A VALID ONE, THERE UNDOUBTEDLY WILL BE BUDGET IMPLICATIONS FOR A LOT OF WHAT WE WANT TO DO. EVEN IF THEY’RE NOT HUGE, THEY WILL BE — THEY WILL HAVE BUDGET IMPACTS. AND SO I THINK, AGAIN, TO YOU, I THINK IT’S A VERY — ANALOGY TO TALK ABOUT VISION ZERO, WHEN WE ADOPTED VISION SDOER ZERO, WE SET THAT AS THE ROAD MAP. THERE WILL BE BUDGET IMPLICATIONS TO GET TO VISION ZERO, WE SET THAT AS THE NORTH STAR AND SAID, WE WILL MAKE OTHER DECISIONS GOING FORWARD, MANY OF WHICH WILL HAVE BUDGETARY IMPLICATIONS WITH THIS AS OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLE. AND SO I THINK WILL BE THE SAME. SO BY — IF WE ADVANCE THIS OUT OF COMMITTEE TODAY AND WE ADOPT THIS AT COUNCIL ON MONDAY, WE WILL NOT BE NECESSARILY TYING OURSELVES TO ANY SPECIFIC BUDGET IMPLICATIONS. THOSE WILL BE THE DECISIONS THAT WILL HAVE BE MADE LATER. THIS WILL BE AN ADOPTION OF THIS IS A SET OF PRINCIPLES AND VALUES AND GOALS FOR THE CITY, THAT WE USE TO GUIDE OUR ACTION FROM THERE. SO MR. MITCHELL, YOU HAD SOMETHING YOU WANTED TO ADD?>>WITH THAT SAID, I’D LIKE TO MAKE A MOTION TO MOVE FORWARD, DELAYING THIS ACCESS PLAN — LANGUAGE PLAN ON THE ENTIRE CITY COUNCIL ON MONDAY APRIL 8th.>>SECOND.>>ALL RIGHT. MOTION AND A SECOND. ANY DISCUSSION?>>I JUST HAVE A COMMENT. SO I ALSO SUPPORT THIS. BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THE LANGUAGE I HAD JUST SPECIFICALLY MADE A REQUEST FOR, IF WE COULD LOOK INTO THAT, BECAUSE I DO GET A LOT OF REQUESTS FOR — MORE COMPREHENSIVE IN OUR APPROACH. AND IF THAT DOES END UP MEETING SOME OF THE REQUIREMENTS, IF WE CAN ADD THAT FOR APRIL 8th.>>I’LL REQUEST MORE UPDATED DATA FROM CMS.>>AND WE CAN DO IT BASED ON THAT.>>OKAY.>>AND I THINK IT’S IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT TO THE POINT, THIS, I THINK, WILL BE A LIVING, BREATHING DOCUMENT, WE WILL SEEK TO EXPAND THE SCOPE OF THE WORK THAT WE’RE DOING IN THIS SPACE. AND OBVIOUSLY, WITH 60-PLUS PEOPLE A DAY MOVING HERE, ONE OF SIX OF WHICH STATISTICALLY ARE PROBABLY FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD. THESE THINGS WILL CHANGE. AND SO THERE MIGHT BE POCKETS OF IMMIGRANT POPULATIONS THAT DON’T EXIST TODAY THAT WILL EXIST FIVE YEARS FROM NOW. AND SO I THINK THIS WILL CONTINUE TO EVOLVE OVER TIME TO ACKNOWLEDGE THOSE CHANGES IN OUR CITY. ANY OTHER DISCUSSION? IF NOT? ALL IN FAVOR?>>AYE.>>ALL OPPOSED? THAT PASSES UNANIMOUSLY. AND WE’LL GO TO THE COUNCIL ON MONDAY. SO I WOULD ASK, I KNOW ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN PERUSING IT, BUT DID EVERYBODY REALLY TAKE A DEEP DIVE INTO THIS ON THIS WEEKEND? SO THAT IF ANY OF OUR COLLEAGUES WHO WERE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND TODAY HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR US MONDAY, LEEDING INTO THE MEETING, THAT WE AS A COMMITTEE CAN ALL ACT AS AMBASSADORS TO THIS PLAN AND HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND IT? THIS WILL BE SENT OUT TO THE FULL COUNCIL TODAY AND ASKING THAT THEY REVIEW IT THIS WEEKEND AS WELL. THIS WILL BE SOMETHING THAT I THINK WE CAN DO TO SHOW THAT THE COUNCIL IS TAKING QUICK — THE COMMITTEE AND THE COUNCIL ARE TAKING QUICK ACTION TO ADDRESS THE CONCERNS WE HEARD IN THESE COMMUNITY SESSIONS. BUT I’LL FOLLOW UP WITH EACH OF THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS TO IDENTIFY TIME, EITHER NEXT WEEK OR THE FOLLOWING, THAT WE CAN GET BACK TOGETHER AND DISCUSS A FEW OF THE THINGS, LIKE THE COMPACTS AND OTHERS THAT WERE BROUGHT UP TODAY, BRIEFLY, SO THAT WE CAN START TO FLESH THOSE OUT AND HAVE SOMETHING MORE ROBUST TO SEND FORWARD TO COUNCIL.>>ON THAT NOTE, STAFF, SO WHEN WE COME BACK, ONE MEETING WE DID NOT GET — WE’RE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND WAS THE INTERNATIONAL MEETING IN GREENSBORO. AND I WOULD LOVE YOU ALL TO BRING SOME INFORMATION BACK FOR US ABOUT HOW THAT MODEL WORKS. I THINK THAT’S SOMETHING WE REALLY NEED TO LOOK INTO BECAUSE IT DOES — IT DOES CHECK THE BOX ON THAT WHOLE COMMUNICATION PIECE. AND GET THEM INVOLVED. SO IT WAS CALLED WHAT, THE INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL?>>YES.>>OKAY. THANK YOU.>>ABSOLUTELY. AND JUST BEFORE WE CLOSE OUT, I DO WANT TO GIVE KUDOS AGAIN, WHO PULLED THIS TOGETHER, THROWN INTO THE FIRE ON THIS [ APPLAUSE ] AND PULLED THIS TOGETHER ON SHORT NOTICE AND I CAN ATTEST TO THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE BUSTED THEIR ASS FOR THE LAST 45 DAYS MAKING THIS HAPPEN, SO THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID TO MAKE THIS SO SUCCESSFUL. WITH THAT, WE ARE ADJOURNED.

Tags:, ,

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *